Thursday, April 2, 2009

Skinnin A Cat

Do Not Read if you are a sissy or a cityfolk
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Okay, I'm warning you again!!!! It is solely at your discretion. I'm in no way forcing you to read this.
Do Not Scroll down if you are inclined to the citified way of thinking and living. The images may be disturbing to some viewers.

Me and a friend went fishing yesterday. When I pulled up in her long drive it was noon and 37 degrees out. While we were eating our packed sandwiches the sun thankfully came out! It however, did not raise the temperature.
To get to this particular fishing spot on Hickory creek it's a short drive across two pastures, through three gates, and through the wooded area that is alongside the creek. After scouting out the creek for about an 1/8th mile, we decided on a little rock bar that jutted out slightly into the creek. On the bankside of this rock bar a giant tree had fallen out across the bar and into the creek. With the tree to our backs we had a nice windbreak. The sun was strong enough that I am still feeling the heat all over my face. I definitely got some color and on March 15th! So this rock bar and fallen tree created a nice small oxbow of calm water. We could easily cast against the bank on our side of the creek into the oxbow or using a heavy weight we could cast on the other side of the creek below the bank. We were hoping to land our liver in front of a catfish den in the side of the bank! After about 15 minutes of our bait hitting the water both of our livers were stripped from our hooks. So we reeled in and baited up again. Plunking the liver back in the water, mine up against the bank on the north, only about 15 feet in front of me, and hers up against the far bank in another small area of backwater. Within a minute I had a tug. Then a couple more. My drag was messed up so it made it a little tricky to pull in a mad fightin' son of a catfish, but letting her play it out a little I pulled in to the shallowest part of the pool, grabbed my leader and hauled her onto the bank! She was a nice one for a small creek and a pole with a messed up drag! Actually, the biggest cat I've caught on a pole. This is small when compared with the ones we catch on the trot and limb lines. But she works for me!
Photobucket


Lest you think I have put on some weight....You are right! 23 lbs to be exact! That's what 6 1/2 months of pregnancy will do to ya!!
Photobucket


And here's a picture of the place she sealed her fate at in the background and a little to the left.

Photobucket
Now, she's not huge by any means but there is enough meat on her to have a good little fish fry. So, sorry for all you city slickers, animal rights activists and vegans, but you gotta eat to live! And I choose MEAT!! That's right, whether it comes from saltwater, fresh water, pasture or tundra, I LOVE meat.
My last and final warning is now! If you are faint at heart, can't stand the sight, smell, or feel of hamburger meat, or even if your dog's breath makes you wanna hurl you better turn back NOW!!! FAST!!!
There are many many different methods of getting the meat to your freezer so those of you that know what is going on and haven't ran to the toilet, just keep your comments to yourself okay? I'm not asking for culinary advice!! Geesh! Don't get your panties in a bunch b/c I didn't use the right cut! It'll all turn out okay in the end!! And you'll be callin' me up wantin' to know when you can come over for the fry! Yeah, you will, b/c I think this is the first river trip of the season.....and it's eatin' at all of us to get on the river!
Photobucket

In order to get to the meat you have to take the skin off! A rope, filet knife and a pair of vise grips will do the trick. Oh, and clothes that you don't mind being splattered with blood b/c I wouldn't hang there without squirming if someone was skinnin me alive either!!!
Photobucket

Then you've got to make your initial cut
Photobucket

Carefully now so's not to empty her contents even more, you can remove the stomach and entrails. After that, I locate the back bone and start cuttin the meat off. Rinse the meat in cool clean water (or whatever you have) and fry it up or put in a freezer bag and save it for another time!
Photobucket

Nothin you buy in the store is as good and tasty, antibiotic/growth hormone-free as this is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment